The median annual wage for diesel service technicians and mechanics was $43,820 in May 2012. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $26,820, and the top percent earned more than $63,250. In May 2012, median annual wages for diesel service technicians and mechanics in the top five industries in which these technicians and mechanics worked were as follows:
- $49,130 in government entities
- $42,950 in motor vehicle and motor vehicle parts and supplies wholesalers
- $42,160 in manufacturing companies
- $38,880 in repair and maintenance shops
- $38,250 in truck transportation companies.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-2015 edition, Diesel Service Technicians and Mechanics.