Nature of the Work
Barbers typically do the following:
- Inspect hair, face, and scalp to recommend treatment.
- Discuss hair-style options
- Wash, color, and condition hair.
- Cut, dry, and style hair.
- Receive payments from clients.
Barbers cut, trim, shampoo, sand style hair mostly for male clients. They also may fit hairpieces and offer facial shaving. Depending on the state in which they work, some barbers are licensed to color, bleach, and highlight hair and to offer permanent-wave services.
Those who operate their own barbershop have managerial duties that include hiring, supervising, and firing workers, as well as keeping business and inventory records, ordering supplies, and arranging for advertising.