The purpose of the essential functions list is to allow prospective students who are considering a career to be informed of the physical, emotional, and psychological demands related to training and employment in a field of study. These lists are provided to allow prospective students to make informed career choices by providing them with a summary of the physical abilities and personality traits that are generally required for the successful completion of a curriculum and result in employment in a field of study after graduation. For students to be successful in the Drafting Technology programs, they must be able to perform the following essential functions:
Ability to Use Senses.
- Visual: Normal vision with or without corrective lenses.
- Hearing: Ability to hear sounds and emergency signals (with auditory aids or a full-time interpreter for the hearing impaired) and to understand a normal speaking voice without direct access to the speaker's face.
- Physical ability to lift 25 pounds.
- Ability to work in an office environment sitting for long periods.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to work with fingers to use a computer to create CAD drawings.
Ability to Understand Need for a Safe Work Environment.
- Ability to wear necessary safety gear.
- Ability to maintain a safe environment at all times.
Ability to Communicate.
- Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written forms to managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to write and perform routine mathematical calculations clearly and correctly.
- Basic proficiency in technology as the industry requires.
Ability to Problem Solve.
- Intellectual and conceptual ability for measuring, calculating, reasoning, analyzing, researching, and prioritizing daily functions.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a sense of urgency to meet deadlines.
- Ability to react and adjust as instructed by instructors during lab or shop instruction or based on customer's needs.
Ability to Maintain Emotional Stability.
- Ability to function safely under stress in today's workplace and adapt to changing staff and client/customer situations.
- Ability to maintain composure and professionalism at all times in labs and the work environment.