Biological technicians held about 80,200 jobs in 2012. The industries employing the most biological technicians in 2012 were as follows:
- Colleges, universities, and professional schools (32 percent)
- Research and development in the physical, engineering, and life sciences (23 percent)
- Federal government (15 percent)
- Chemical manufacturing (8 percent)
- Hospitals (8 percent)
- Testing laboratories (4 percent)
Employment of biological technicians is projected to grow by 10 percent from 2012 through 2022.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-2015 edition, Biological Technicians.