Healthcare jobs are grouped into five detailed industries: hospitals, offices of health practitioners, nursing and residential care facilities, home healthcare services, and outpatient, laboratory, and other ambulatory care services. More than 15.8 million jobs existed in these industries in 2013. Employment in each of the detailed industries in 2013 was as follows:
- 6.1 million in hospitals (39 percent of the total)
- 4.1 million in offices of health practitioners (26 percent)
- 3.2 million in nursing and residential care facilities (20 percent)
- 1.2 million in home health care services (8 percent)
- 1.2 million in outpatient, laboratory, and other ambulatory care services (8 percent)
Healthcare employment is projected to grow by 26 percent from 2012 through 2022, an increase of about 4.1 million jobs.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Quarterly, Spring 2014, Healthcare: Millions of jobs now and in the future.