As the largest healthcare occupation, registered nurses held about 3.1 million jobs in 2020. The industries that employed the most registered nurses in 2020 were as follows:
- Hospitals-State, Local, and Private (60.0 percent)
- Nursing care facilities (7.0 percent)
- Offices of physicians (18.0 percent)
- Educational Services (3.0%)
- Outpatient care center-Ambulatory (15 percent)
Employment opportunities are expected to increase by approximately 7 percent from 2019 through 2029.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Registered Nurses, on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/registered-nurses.htm (visted April 9, 2021)